Thursday 26 September 2013

Oktoberfest 2013

As I said earlier, the weather had turned to rain and it really did start feeling like Winter - until Oktoberfest started. The first day of Oktoberfest was last Saturday, and since then the weather's been great! (Okay apart from as I write this, in which case it is raining again). Yesterday me and Jorg went to have a look around and I got to wear my new Dirndl that I got for my birthday! I'm not usually a fan of any kind of place that has roller coasters etc but Oktoberfest is really different. It has such a great atmosphere and it's so fun to see everyone in Dirndls and Lederhosen!
My dirndl! I didn't realise that where you tie your bow has an actual meaning to it, in this photo (at the start of the day) I had it tied at the back; until I met Jorg and he told me that it means I'm a widow. If you tie it on the left (at the front) it means you're single, in the middle a virgin and on the right married/taken! I was grateful that I wasn't going into Oktoberfest as a widow :)

 Here I'm actually standing next to barrels of beer, which are brought into Oktoberfest by horses! I sadly didn't get a photo of them as just as we had taken this photo they started moving again, but I think it's such a cute idea to have all beer brought in by horses.














Jorg also bought me a "Lebkuchen Herz" that says Mausi, which is basically an affectionate name for someone, for example in English we use "Honey" and so on.
















We managed to grab a place in one of the beer gardens and ordered some beer and an extra large pretzel! Excuse my wierd expression in this photo, the sun was right in my eyes! The beer wasn't for me, but for Jorg as I'm not such a fan for beer. However I did try it and even I could tell it is much stronger and nicer than normal beer!


I will hopefully be going back again in the next couple of weeks!

2 comments:

  1. OMG YOU LOOK SO CUTE LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!! I am also glad you didn't go as a widow! Can you imagine!!! But do you think that people would want other people knowing they are virgins? That is so weird.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that's what I thought haha!! I did see a few girls that had the bow meaning virgin as well! Bit weird xx

    ReplyDelete