Thursday 15 May 2014

Shortbread Recipe

Every time I go shopping I stare at the over priced Scottish Shortbread, so thought I may as well save some money and bake some instead...


Today had been a long day: Hailing during athletics, step aerobic class and gymnastics (not to mention Sociology in which I did almost die of tiredness). So I generally do deserve some warm comfort food! 

Whenever I go food shopping I'm always dumbfounded at the pricey "Scottish" Shortbread range in Tengelmann. I mean yes shortbread is amazingly yummy and not so common here - but when looking at the box I discovered there are only three ingredients!! Butter, sugar, flour. And yet it's so expensive?! I suppose it's the import costs, and maybe er some kind of magic from the Scots. if you want to save some money and make great (maybe even yummier) shortbread then here's the amazingly simple recipe:

You will need:
1 cup butter
1 cup caster sugar
2 and a half cups normal flour

What you need to do:
Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
Mix the butter and sugar together till creamy, then slowly add the flour!
Mix thoroughly.
Put it on a floured surface and knead the dough till it looks something like this:

Get your rolling pin (I don't have one so just flattened it using my palms!) and flatten it.

Make it as thick as you want it and cut it the way you want - some people like it thin and round cut into triangles like a cake, whereas I like "shortbread fingers"

Poke some holes into each of them with your fork

And put into the oven for around 30 - 40 minutes (or until golden brown)
I like them best after a few minutes, still warm and soft (after about 10 minutes they'll start to go hard - which is completely normal!)

Grab a cup of tea and relax!

2 comments:

  1. I thought I'd already commented on this before - do you remember that time we made shortbread and we were so confused because it was soft and then your dad said we shouldn't eat it when it was soft and it was because we didn't let it cool down (I still prefer it pre-cooling mmmmm) - just a flashback I had haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I do! I also prefer them still warm and soft ^_^

      Delete